Re: High acutance D76

  • From: George L Smyth <glsmyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: High acutance D76
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 13:25:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Ibrahim PAMUK (Ank,IH)" <ibrahim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I am not mistaken George said that he has a high acutance developer
> formula. Would it possible to get it and also if there exists some data of
> development times especially on HIE.

Ibrahim -

Sorry for the delayed response.  I moved recently and am finally finding the
last lost items. <g>

Below is Maxim Muir's formula for High Acutance D-76.  Maxim was a contributor
to Steve Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook.  This formula was developed after the
publication of the book.

Solution A
----------
Water                  750ml
Metol                   10g
Sodium Sulfite          40g
Sodium Metabisulfite    10g
Hydroquinone            25g

Water to make            1 liter

Solution B
----------
Water                  750ml
Sodium Metaborate       50g

Water to make            1 liter

For use, take 1 part A, 1 part B, and 8 parts water.  Use normal D76 1+1 times
for development as a starting point.

The white precipitate that solution A forms is a result of the hydroquinone not
going quite into the solution.  It will disappear when combined with the other
solutions.  Share solution A before mixing.

This formula solves three D76 problems.

1) Since the alkali is separated from the reducing agents in storage, the shelf
life is outstanding - at least a year for the A.

2) The use of sodium metaborate as an accelerator minimizes the problem of
rising pH in storage that is found from hydrolizing borax as with the
traditional formula.

3) There is only 4 grams of sodium sulfite per liter of working solution.  This
is at a Crawley FX-1 level.  The sulfite "etching" effects are eliminated.
Unlike FX-1, this developer produces a D76 tonal gradation.  Crawley tends to
run soft due to the exclusive use of metol.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -

george

=====