Re: Tilt lens for panoramic

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Tilt lens for panoramic
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 05:25:46 -0700

At 09:46 AM 9/25/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>I know in the past, people have talked about using tilt lenses for landscape
>panoramic photography. This week, I rented a Canon TS 45mm lens to play
>around with and found it not what I expected. My original impression
>was, if I place my camera perfectly parallel to the earth, I can tilt
>the lens down to take out some of the sky and bring in more of the
>landscape. While the image in the viewfinder is what I expected, I
>noticed a "curving into position" of the landscape as I swing the
>camera. Since I shoot multiple frames and stitch them together later,
>this "curving into position" or distortion is not going to work. How
>have others used tilt lens in the past? Thanks.
>
>Harold

harold,
When you say "tilt" don't you mean "shift"?  you move the lens up and down
parallel to the picture plane no?  If you want a simple "tilt" that works on
any lens buy a wedge prism from Edmunds Scientific.  I have one in a
cardboard "universal" ,rubberbands and foam, mount that I slip over the
front of an SLR lens. it gives the effect of looking up or down while the
camera remains level to the horizon.

AZ
Lookaround Cameras are more fun.

New September Additions at: