Re: I am having a good time about Linhof 617 discussions I started.

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: I am having a good time about Linhof 617 discussions I started.
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:55:46 -0800

>I agree, with a rotational camera you can take distortion free photos. Yes,
>but there is a catch: the scenery has to cooperate with you, like a river in
>front, or large mountains, fields, etc. That is: as long as the foreground is
>kind of the same stuff, like flowers, water, etc.

Mr. Degroot,
Now wait a minute! The rotational camera gives an opportunity to escape the
rigid rectangular point of view. Why should pictures that are not in a
conventional square be considered distorted? If you look out over the
history of art you will see that the rectangular picture is a relatively
recent Western convention. You are just not looking at other ways of
presenting a view. Think of asian scrolls and pre renascence art. There are
endless ways to depict space and time. Don't be a square!

Regards,
AZ

>The botom line is this:
>
>It doesn't matter, as long as you are happy with the results, and as long as
>you can give joy to others.
>
>Just never take pictures with a camera that works against your own personal
>artistic vision.
>
>Different visions is not like apples and oranges, even though cameras are
>externally. What matters is the internal unique vision. The camera is merely
>an instrument by which to express this vision. For me that is mostly the 1:3
>non-rotational camera vision.
>
>Photography happens first in the heart and mind, secondly with the camera. But
>the camera must be part of this unity.
>
>Happy shooting!

Lookaround Cameras are more fun.

See cameras and pictures at: