Re: Cylindrical Distortion

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Cylindrical Distortion
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 16:17:34 -0800

At 12:20 PM 11/26/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>11-26-97

>A recent wide-ranging thread on "distortion" stopped short of the area I
>have been exploring lately. The term "cylindrical distortion" is helpful,
>in my opinion, in discussing the geometry involved. A scholarly discussion
>of the subject my be found in the March-April, 1983, issue of "American
>Scientist" magazine, pp. 132-140, the article "Panoramic Photographs," by
>Harold E. Malde, a mathematician, geologist, and very fine photographer.
>
>As long as panoramic photographs (no matter what techniques are used to
>produce them) are displayed flat (i.e., in two dimensions), their visual
>effect is restricted. If the same pictures are displayed as an arc (i.e.,
>cylindrically, in three dimensions) an altogether different effect results.
>
>An example may be seen at:
>
>http://www.acofi.edu/~comm/webquest/spring98/qboles.htm
>
>My best to all on the list,
>
>Jan Boles   <jambo@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>\
Jan,

That's quite a rig!  Do you have more of your pics on the web?
I made a fixture for easily bending white or black plastic into semi-circle
presentation mounts.  They are an attractive way to present panoramas minus
the cylindrical "distortion". I will post the construction techniques if
anyone is interested.

regards,
AZ

Lookaround Cameras are more fun.