VÁ: banding from uneven rotation?

  • From: Varró Norbert <varron@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: VÁ: banding from uneven rotation?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:56:51 +0100

What you say can be modelled by the 35mm lens rotating panorama. (there is
no drum)
Here is a picture made with that camera into the sun (not mine, I wish it
was):
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/panorama/gallerie_web/gal_goll.html
Notice that the sudden flare is there, twice, around the sun. I think that
the edge of the slit has something to do with it (hence the assimetry), not
necessary the drum edge. Maybe we should paint the slits?

Cheers,
Norbert

> ----------
> Feladó: 	Willem-Jan Markerink[SMTP:w.j.markerink@xxxxx]
> Küldés ideje: 	2000.január.8. 17:01
> Címzett: 	panorama-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Tárgy: 	Re: banding from uneven rotation?
>
> On 23 Dec 99 at 13:42, Julian Clothier wrote:
	[]

> > Be aware also just where is the sun when you use the camera. They do not
> > handle back lighting of the subject at all well. Good luck, have a great
> > festive season if it applies, and catch up with you all next century eh?
>
> Ever considered cutting away the front of the drum, ie doing away
> with the front 'slit'? Thereby giving the lens a full view during its
> entire rotation, and avoiding the sudden light/dark flare effects
> that will otherwise occur when the sun suddenly strikes the lens....
>
> Note that all swing-lens cameras suffer from this, whether Horizont,
> Horizon 202 or Noblex 150.
> But IMNSHO it is more inherent to the front slit than to the
> nature/operation of the camera.
	[]