Re: Photoshop USM and CMYK conversion

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Photoshop USM and CMYK conversion
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:27:32 -0500

At 06:20 PM 3/1/1999 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I need to convert some 40 in images (at 300 dpi) to CMYK.  I scanned myself
>with unsharp masking turned off because of excessive stitching and retouching.
>I wonder if there are any rules of thumb using USM in photoshop for images
>of given sizes.  I found an amount of 150 % with a radius of 3 pixels at a
>threshhold of 5 to 10 seemed to be fine.  I'd like to make sure if this is
>the best combination before I would regret. Lowering the threshhold would mess
>up the sky.  Or would it be better to sharpen different parts of the images
>separately?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Zonghou Xiong

ZX
I don't know if this helps your problem but I have always understood that
one always archives a raw scan of each image.  Any changes are then kept as
a copy file(s) or best yet just save the Actions used for the USM's and the
tweaks used for each application the file needs - size, printer, paper, etc.
In any case the advise is never save the USM with the file.

AZ

Lookaround Panoramic Cameras and Gallery:
http://www.keva.com/lookaround

New images for feb/march at:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/

Panorama workshop 4/28-4/30