RE: Do you have 5 minutes?

  • From: Angela Elizabeth Lauria <lala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Do you have 5 minutes?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 15:03:52 -0500 (EST)

Dear Mr. Hibbeln,

Thank you for your thoughtful note.   Please accept my apologies for any
upset I may have caused you.  I struggled with writing that email because
I felt torn between being short and being inclusive.  I appreciate your
giving me the time to explain further by responding.

I actually was not raised in a barn, though sometimes living in New york
City did have a distinct odor. And yes, I am over 21 and I agree, it would
have been better to say please.  On the on hand I want to blame my
American sensibility for my rudeness but on the other hand I realize that
is no excuse.

My project, however, is, in part, an attempt to quantify the different
types of reactions a survey gets from different sorts of lists.  I am
experimenting with opt-in list, blind requests (such as yours) and
volunteer requests (through newsgroups and web sites).  Consequently as a
way to limit outside variables, I have had to use the same exact request
in all three places so that I could compare (statistically) how responses
differed.  If I have said that in any way that makes sense you will
understand that my rudeness was an attempt at scientific parody and NOT
offense.

Again my humble apologies to your and your employees. I can see how my
behavior would appear inexcusable at best and I sincerely hope you will
accept this explanation and not think badly of Americans on my account!

Angela

Angela E. Lauria
School of Media and Public Affairs
Lila & M. Allen Self Fellow