Re: fish eye lens test

Alan,

<snip>

> the crossing would throw everything into a blurr.  I noticed that with the
> fish eye the picture plane looks a bit like a convex cylinder. I may try to
> change the shape of the focal plane to either concave or convex to see what
> happens.

yup ... exactly. As the fisheye looks further and further up or down it sees
subjects mor and more at an angle and the northers and southern latitudes get
squished in a way reminiscent of how one would perceive these sreas on the
suface of a globe as one moves up-down and parallel to the axis of the globe.
The poles being essentially seen at a grazing angle but the areas near the
equator being perceived head-on. (I don't have my thinking cap on right now so
I may not be stating this quite correctly).

As for correcting with a curved (convex or concave) film plane ... hmmm ... I
don't think this will change much as the amount of film passing by the slit is
still constant along the slit of the camera or the linear CCD array. The only
thing that will help is if you record slower in those areas where the image is
moving slower ... to wit, at the north and south poles the film would not move
at all ... since you want to reproduce a point as a point.

whew ... too much of a brain drain for this evening. I think I need something
to calm me down!

Andy