RE: flatbed scanhead in rotating camera

  • From: ADavidhazy <ANDPPH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: flatbed scanhead in rotating camera
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:06:18 -0400 (EDT)

Mike,

> I think you're on the right track but may run into some problems. To get
> scanner software/firmware to move the sensor head farther than the factory
> length of the bed itself is next to impossible (but if you do, PLEASE share
> it!). <snip>

Words of wisdom!

> glass....but this is a BAD way to do it. Instead, put the tricolor CCD
> sensor physically in the image plane (without the 5+ mirrors that are in the
> image path of most flatbed scanners) and mechanically scan it across the
> film plane. Of course this will only digitize a 42mm wide path in the image.
> Use different gearing to move it the required distance to give you square
> pixels - for the case of a rectilinear camera with a flat film plane.

Yup ... or, if you tolearate fixing things after the fact you can scan always
to the same length and then stretch using software by interpolation to a
longer length.  ;-)

BTW, a 42mm sensor is actually not too bad. In my improvised camera I am using
a  only 20mm or so sensor which is really not very good in terms of quality but
the purpose was only to have a "demo" system for teaching purposes.

The bottom line is that I think you have neatly summarized the problems and
possible solutions. Thnaks.

Andrew  o o  0 0 o . o  Davidhazy, Imaging and Photo Tech
         \/\/\/\/\/\/          http://www.rit.edu/~andpph