Re: interchangeable lenses vs. fixed focal length

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: interchangeable lenses vs. fixed focal length
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:36:39 -0400

At 08:00 AM 7/2/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Alan,
>
>You wrote:
>> Lookaround is the only
>> inexpensive camera that... blah, blah blah.
>
>"only"? Don't forget, you can build your own
>professional 120 format 360 degree LarScan camera for
>less than $100 worth of parts and the lens you already
>own.
>
>http://www.panoramic.net/wwworld/larscan.htm
>
>:-)
>Bob
>
>=====
>Robert Erickson, cirkut8@xxxxxxxxx
>The Panoramic Network: http://www.panoramic.net
>Panoramic Images for sale: http://www.panoramic.net/panstore

>Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites.
>http://invites.yahoo.com/

Bob,
Ahem - Lookaround is the world's only really cheap, already built 35mm (HA!)
camera that lets you adjust the lens to film plane distance.

btw The biggest factor by far affecting sharpness in my experience is the
slit width and proximity to the film.  The variance in film take-up to FL
doesn't seem to matter a lot with the smaller format. I think there must be
important differences in mechanical/optical theory for cameras that rotate
around the lens node and those like the Lookaround that rotate way off it.
Format makes a difference too. With longer FL's on a 120mm subject and
camera motion is a big problem.

At least a third of the pans on my web page were done hand-held. Have a look
at this new pic for a hoot:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/sclptgdnbike_d.html

It was not hand-held but caught the action just fine.

AZ

New Minneapols pans 6/30/00
Lookaround Panoramic Camera and Gallery:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/

Bob Talbot's Vagabond Camera web page
 http://www.st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk/vagabond/

Where's the camera? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/passcam.html