Re: mounting/framing pans

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: mounting/framing pans
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:24:02 -0400

At 10:07 PM 7/15/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I recently had a 72" print made from an XPan neg. Then I needed to have it
>made ready for presentation in a hurry. I went to a local framer who does
>good work, but is not cheap. The results were OK, but not spectacular and
>too expensive. This is partly because the print exceeded the size of matte
>board. Of course the frame (aluminum) and plexi were not cheap, either.
>
>Has anyone come up with a way to present large prints that does not end up
>costing out-of-proportion to the cost of the print? In this instance, the
>framing was nearly 4X the cost of the print.
>
>I was wondering about mounting on gatorboard then somehow finishing the
>edges. That, with lamination, should make a nice presentation. But what
>would work for the edges? Any ideas about this or other low-cost mounting
>methods?
>
>M. Denis Hill
>Area 360 Communications
>http://www.area360.com
>360.678.8351
>
>Have you visited the discussion forums at http://www.colorfulcoupeville.com?

Denis,

Check with an out-door advertizing sign shop.  They may have some
specialized methods and materials. There is a metalized and plain vinyl trim
material that comes in coils they use. There is also PVC tirm molding at
Home Depot that comes in various shapes and finishes. Stick it on the gator
bd with wall-board adhesive.

AZ