Re: slit width experiments

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: slit width experiments
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:21:06 -0400

At 11:16 PM 9/3/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Ron
>
>     Why would reducing the slit size cause banding?  Less light =  slower
>rotation = less of a problem with banding?   Is this being used at auto
>exposure or manual?
>
>      With the 220 VR banding is more common at very high speeds, 1/250 th,
>or when using auto exposure...the drastic slowing and speeding of the motor
>can cause this......Is this a mechanical problem unique to cirkuits?   Have
>you found an optimal slit size for sharpness, or is it simply the smaller
>the sharper?
>
>Bill G

Guys,

Moving the slit closer to the film and/or making it narrower (and leaving
the speed the same) causes sharpness due in part to the lessening of the
blur of camera movements other than rotation. Doing this increases the
chances that the legions of gremlins that cause the film and rotational
movement to vary will show up as bands. The film itself is in my experience
the worst cause of trouble and the least fixable.
If the camera can be optimized for smooth action the increase in sharpness
aforded by a narrower slit is very great. It is worth the occasional band.
Gonna give a dance ya gotta pay the .... .

Speaking of bands - it is delightful to be able to rescue images with a band
or two using PhotoShop. Has anyone found a sure-fire method? Somehow I don't
think there is a Debando plug-in.

AZ

New interchronic b/w street pans - 9/4/00
Lookaround Panoramic Camera and Gallery:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/

Bob Talbot's Vagabond Camera web page
 http://www.st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk/vagabond/

Where's the camera? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/passcam.html