Re: Image sharpness and focus distance.

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Image sharpness and focus distance.
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:54:37 -0400

At 11:44 AM 10/24/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>This is true for still cameras but not rotational cameras since with a
>rotational camera you are photographing the interior of a cylinder (the
>focus point). The speed at which the film travels through the camera
>(not to be confused with film speed!)must be matched to the focused point.
>
>Assume a camera is focused and set up for a point 30 feet away.
>
>Since the circumference of a cylinder 30 feet away is vastly larger than
>a cylinder 20 feet away, the film will travel at the wrong rate for the
>shorter distance and be seen as soft or blurred inspite of the fact that
>this point fell within the limits of depth of field.
>
>Les

Les,

Gee fellahs,

Don't scare away novice pan camera experimenters with all this sharpness
talk :-)  For example why should anyone try to make a tilting pan (conical
picture plane) camera when according to theory it shouldn't work?  I was
fortunate not to know all the reasons a pan camera wouldn't work when I
figured out how to build one. It is all relative. With a wide lens for depth
of field and a ball-park estimate of relative ratios and speeds a very good
and sharp image can be made.

AZ

New b/w street pans - 10/1/00
Lookaround Panoramic Camera and Gallery:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/
keyword.com: lookaround

Where's the camera? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/passcam.html