Re: Digital Cirkut Cam?

> The first thing you have to do is get the scanner driver software rewritten
> to change the aspect ratio that a flatbed scanner works at, after scanning a
> sheet of paper it's told to stop scanning, with a rotating camera you want
> it to keep scanning continuosly.

Yes but for this you need to break into the control mechanism and/or the
software and neither is too easy to do ... but I do not speak from actual
experience and it may be easier then I think.! Or you can resize to fit but not
best solution is it ... but it sometimes works.

> One question I have and Andy D. will be able to answer this......the dynamic
> range of cheap scanners is in the region of 2.2 to 2.4, the more expensive
> scanners are 3.0 to 3.6, the lower range of the cheapies affects shadow
> detail.

As stated earlier this _is_ a concern for high quality reproduction. Scanners
are not designed for dealing with the wide luminance range of many natural
scenes.

> I was wondering what the shadow detail was like with Andy's camera and also
> the colour balance.

Crummy. Poor. On both counts. But used in B&W mode in particular the system
works well for what it was intended, meaning DEMONTSTRATION of principles.

> After seeing Bob Erickson's posts of stitched pans with a digital camera I'm
> wondering if I should abandon this project and use Bob's
> techniques.......Bob's images are impressive!

I think this would save you a lot of hassle. But some LOVE to TINKER and for
them such a project is fun just for the sake of doing it. BTW, some of the
highest quality digital pans photos are those precisely made with linear arrays
and rotating, scanning, cameras.

adios,
andy