RE: The times sure have changed, fast!

  • From: David Hibbeln <dhibbeln@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: The times sure have changed, fast!
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:57:56 -0500

Guys,

Years ago, when the air was clean, the internet did not exist, and neither
did PC's I learned in an art class, that what you drew depended on your
tools. If you drew with a compass, you would have perfect circles, if you
used your hand, it would not be a "perfect" circle, even tho everybody would
realize it.

I learned the what you produced depended on what you use, how YOU (the
unique person that YOU are) understood that tool and how you used it.

Many moons ago, I taught photo classes. My second excerise was to take
camera, draw with chalk two foot prints and ask the class to stand in the
foot prints and take a picture. NEVER, NEVER did I get a contact sheet back
that had 36 or 12 or 24 of the SAME image. Each was unique.

It is silly to discuss bad or good. Each method and person produces a unique
image. Each technique has its advanages.

Me, I personally prefer the images I made when I did duagereotypes (yes I
really did do it, fuming mercury and all) or ambrotypes. I also prefer the
colors of dye transfer, but try to make one today....

Yet I am in awe of what digital does. It has its place along with good old
silver on paper.

Lets, just enjoy the darn things....

Regards,

        \!/
       (@ @)            David R. Hibbeln   h 973-728-0192  w 201-487-7744
   			This e-mail is send with 100% recyclable electrons.
/"\			dhibbeln@xxxxxxxxx
\ /
 X  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN AGAINST HTML MAIL
/ \