Re: Nappa Challenge

  • From: Robert Erickson <cirkut8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Nappa Challenge
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:08:57 -0800 (PST)

--- SegalPan@xxxxxxx wrote:
> will
> have to change that dual to Napa Valley, since i am
> planning to attend Napa.  In addition, I'm not
> certain
> selling on Ebay is an appropriate medium, but i'm
> willing
> to give it a try.  Prepare for a Shock, my
> friend......
> Mark Segal

Dear Mark,

I regret that I will not be attending the gathering in
Nappa Valley. For my own personal reasons I have
chosen to boycott IAPP untill the next true election.

I consider you the world’s greatest panoramic
photographer. I don’t believe that I am capable of
bettering you. My goal was to illustrate that direct
to digital imaging can produce extreamly high quality
images that are not possiable from a film based
camera.

As I see it the difference between film and digital
based photography is that film is stuck with reality,
digital is free to do what ever the artist imagination
can dream up. What I had planned to do was to produce
a dozen or so wildly different compositions based on
my original images.

Using Ebay as the measure of value was the first thing
that came into my head. It is a free and open market
place. If we had really done the dual, I would have
insisted that the prints be offered without our names,
in secret by a third party, so that we could not get
family members to drive up the bid price. FYI: I had
planned to cheat by posting my dozen prints against
your one and add the values of them all together. ;-)

Have fun in Nappa! Please do the dual challenge with
someone else. I will sadly miss being there.

:-(
Bob Erickson
http://www.panoramic.net