newbie questions, best tools/techniques for the task

  • From: Lee Schwabe <lschwabe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: newbie questions, best tools/techniques for the task
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:34:57 -0800

Hello,

Please help me if you can to make some decisions regarding a project that I
must do soon.  I am new to panorama making, have learned a lot by reading
here, but still could use some advice.  Here's the situation:

I am going to make a panorama from the top of a structure.  Most of the
interest in the image will be looking downward, below the horizon.  I have
done a couple tests with a borrowed Sony Mavica.  The first test, done with
the camera level, stitched with Panorama Factory (and warning, weighing in
at 2.5 mb!) can be seen at:
http://www.giantdipper.com/newtests/pftest02.mov

The second test, done with an evaluation version of PanaVue Image Assembler
(and only 325k) can be found at:
http://www.giantdipper.com/newtests/tiltsmbrtr.mov

PanaVue Image Assembler will assemble images that were shot with camera
tilt, but the result seems to be a smiling horizon line.  Panorama Factory
seems to stitch better with the camera level, but has no provision for
tilted originals.

So, I have questions about which equipment/techniques will produce the best
results.

For equipment, I own Nikon gear with my widest lens being a 24mm.  I have
available locally to rent 20mm, 15mm rectilinear, or 28mm shift.  No 8mm
fisheyes available for rent locally.  I'm thinking that I could:

1) rent the 15mm, shoot with the camera not tilted, hope the angle of view
gets enough image information below the horizon, then crop the excess sky
from the top.

2) rent the 28mm shift, and shift the lens downward?

I could rent non-locally a 8mm Nikkor or a rotating-lens panoramic.  Both
would be expensive with shipping/rental/insurance.

Been on the fence for a while now regarding purchase of a digital
camera.  I like what I've read about the Nikon CP990, but using their
fisheye adapter seems to be not a surefire good solution, from comments
that I've read.  I've also been looking at the Kodak DC4800, with an eye on
its low-light capabilities and that its zoom is 28mm equivalent.  (Price
reductions on this camera make it especially tempting now.)  The DC4800 has
a wide-angle adapter that gets it into the 16mm range, but no fisheye
adapters have I found for this camera.

I don't necessarily need to have a 180 degree vertical field of view.  The
wider lens and fewer pics needed for the stitch would come in handy
though.  Where I will be situated, it will be advantageous to work
fast.  Also, within the image capture area is a street with moving cars, a
park with moving people, and an ocean with moving waves.  So, fewer pics
would be an advantage.

I have downloaded, but haven't yet started learning Helmut's Panorama
Tools.  Would this be an (or the) answer to my tilted camera questions?

So, if any of you have any advice for me, please let me know.  Also please
let me know if there's something that I've overlooked or an option that
I've not thought about.

I hope that I have been clear enough to be understandable, but not too
long-winded.  Any and all advice/information/caveats greatly appreciated,
and I'll pass it along to somebody else someday.

best regards,
Lee Schwabe

Lee Schwabe
Communications Manager