Re: 5" FILM PROBLEM plus new OFFER

  • From: James Young <jamiehy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: 5" FILM PROBLEM plus new OFFER
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 13:54:53 -0500

>Thanks for the responses!
>
>The film is aerial plus-x with no anti-halation
>backing. The camera doesn't leak: I've shot 220 film
>in it with no problems. So, I guess I'll soup an
>unexposed roll and see what it looks like. I also
>emailed FfC to see what they say. I bought a couple of
>rolls of 103 verichrome pan from them (unfortunatly,
>they don't sell that anymore: the camera also takes
>that) and it came with felt washers inside the ends of
>the spools to help block light. I've asked them if
>they can do that on the 5" rolls.

I'm guessing part of your problem is the aerial film. It's milky
white without the antihalation backing, so any leak is going to be a
lot worse. The film has to be spooled pretty carefully, with tight
close tolerances for the leader/trailer film. Most other films are
opaque  enough to minimize flare. Kodak does sell a 5" plux x film
with an antihalation backing. The lack of backing also gives an
interesting halo effect around bright highlights- kind of an old
fashioned look.
  Jamie