Re: Recent discussion on Cirkut film methodology

  • From: simonwide <simonwide@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Recent discussion on Cirkut film methodology
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:38:34 +0000

THIS REMINDS ME OF THE LATE, GREAT FRITS ROTGANS, DUTCH PANORAMIST WHO WAS MENTOR TO SIMON/WIDE

michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have been cutting, spooling and processing aerofilm 91/2 by 250 ft rolls colour transparency and B/W  for 30 years for my 5,6,8 and 10 inch Cirkuts.  When I started there was no other option except to buy large quantities of readymade Cirkut spooled B/W film at horrendous prices which I couldnt afford and no useable colour film at all.   Glad to hear there are still so many new people taking an interest in using these amazing old contrivances so am happy to answer any queries re techniques. I dont look at my emails everyday so phoning might sometimes be better (UK-116-2705828; but please remember the time difference for Europe!). here are a few notes for newcomers: In brief, I have my own one-piece spools made from hardwood dowel, turned down to give a centre spindle and end flanges;  these ends are then drilled and grooved to fit the camera rewind. I allow 1/16 inch end play on the film when making spools (essential to avoid banding). Lengthwise cutting done on an old wallpaper cutting machine which I bought at scrap price;  a simple homemade alternative using a razor blade is described by Will Landon in a backnumber of IAPP journal. Believe it or not Bob Erickson cuts colour film rolls in two with a woodsaw in the light; providing the film is tightly wound on a lightproof spindle:  he reckons it only fogs a couple of turns plus the very edge of the film (this wont work with black and white though ). I was lucky to acquire some proper yellow/black leader paper rolls from a film manufacturer many years ago so cant advise an alternative but there must be something (sugar paper perhaps?).  A rotary trimmer is essential to cut right-angles on both film and paper, and a simple jig to hold them in alignment for joining with paper tape. All processing done in 5 ft troughs, rolling the film continuously.  Cant help with the colour film, mine is the entire world stock of an obsolete Agfachrome 29 years out of date and kept mint fresh in a very deep freeze all that time.  I make up my own chemistry. . The B/W I use is Ilford FP3 Aero. . My favourite option is to cut it exactly in half to 4 & 3/4 inch, no waste at all. I also sometimes use 220 and 70mm film.   I make Cibachrome and B/W contact prints with a travelling colourhead light source and can supply details of this mechanism on request. (Most oldtime Cirkut users designed their own individual solution to the contact printing problem ). .  Prints are processed on an Ilford ICP 42 machine which can also handle colour neg paper. Favourite cameras are the portable 6-inch model Cirkuts (not outfits) which I have adapted to use many lenses from 65mm Super Angulon to 24-inch Turner Reich