S3D Re: Need price suggestions

  • From: Allan Woods <allanwx@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: S3D Re: Need price suggestions
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:43:14 -0700 (PDT)

Using e-bay to establish prices on sell-3d... hmm...

There has been some comment both pro and con about the effect of
e-bay's existence on hobbyist trading.  Are we now embracing it?

People have objected to e-bay's effect on pricing yet no mention
has ever been made (that I can recall) on the use of "pricing books"
at photo swap meets.  There are dealers who price their wares
according to these guides.  I wonder...

E-bay's "auctions" are for a limited time.  Not evryone has an
internet computer.  Not everyone looks at e-bay.  If something
sells for a lot on e-bay it means that one person somewhere was
willing to pay.  Does that constitute establishing "worth" or
"value?"

If a "reserve bid" is not met, does that establish anything other
than your potential buyers were not contacted?

The marketplace is a slippery place.

A thing is worth what you can get for it, not necessarily what
someone else got for it.

allanwx@xxxxxxxxxx