S3D Re: FS: BELL & HOWELL ANAMORPHIC PROJECTION LENS by Arthur J.Fischer

  • From: AJ1FISCHER@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: S3D Re: FS: BELL & HOWELL ANAMORPHIC PROJECTION LENS by Arthur J.Fischer
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:07:23 EDT

FOR SALE:

Bell and Howell Anamorphic Projection Lens.

This anamorphic projection lens has very little information printed on it. It
is a SUPPLEMENTARY lens. The overall back-to-front length of the lens is 4.5"
The rear end is 1.75" in diameter and is threaded to screw into a primary
projection lens. The front barrel is 2 3/8" OD and rotates to correspond with
distance (presumably) setting marks of 25, 12.5, 35, 50, 120 and infinity
(the 12.5 mentioned is actually between the 25 and the 35 markings, which
seems out of sequence).

I bought this lens with the thought of finding a mate and using two 35 mm
cameras for wide screen stereo. My second thought was perhaps to experiment
with the lens to see if it could be married to a beam splitter and somehow
improve upon the door-frame effect of beam splitters by anamorphically
squeezing down a wide picture to a half frame of 35 mm.  I'm not sure that
would work and I abandoned both projects.

The lens is fascinating in it's ability to deliberately distort and then
restore. It may be just the thing some clever hobbyist would enjoy working
with.

Asking price is $35 postpaid. Cashier's check or US postal money order are
fine.

I also have a second (not anamorphic) projection lens for sale. It is a Bell
& Howell 16 mm FILMOVARA ATTACHMENT for 1.5"- 2"- 3" lenses. B&H No. 020252.
I'm not sure what it was used for but it appears to be some kind of telephoto
attachment (secondary lens) with a threaded back to screw into the primary
projection lens. The threaded portion is 2 1/16" OD. Overall back-to-front
length is 2". The original price of $63 is still on the box. Again, perhaps a
hobbyist's delight.

Asking price is $25 postpaid if bought separately or $15 if bought with the
Anamorphic Lens.

Arthur J. Fischer
aj1fischer@xxxxxxx
Tel (Melbourne, FL) 407 254-5700