S3D Re: Hold the phone - Line Length???

  • From: bob Wier <wier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: S3D Re: Hold the phone - Line Length???
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:23:13 -0600

>it before there is a warning. I also do not think line length is covered in
>the rules of the list, but I will certainly stand corrected and humbled if
>this is something I have missed in reading the rules.

Nope - I just checked and the welcome message doesn't say
anything about line length.

Probably the best thing to do is to try to limit your line lengths
to 65 to 72 characters. If you use a mailer with word wrap,
make sure it's sending "hard wraps" (that is, actually inserting
cr/lfs). I tend to run a bit longer than this
myself because I have auto-wrap turned off as the
listserv command interpreter will not join pieces
of a command sent on multiple lines into just
one cammand.

The place that problems occur for most people is if there
is soft wrap, and the message is sent as one long
line (people operating cross platform on text files
see this quite a bit when the Mac vs Win vs Unix
end of line conversion fails). Normally this is not a major
problem.

What I run into CONSTANTLY is people sending MIME or
HTTPD messages, neither of which will generally pass
thru the listserv 6.0c software successfully. Please
be sure you are sending straight ASCII text. Here's
the usual MIME message I send to posters who get
divered off because of this problem:

===================

(MIME information)

Listserve 6.0c/d (the software robot here) will not normally
pass either messages with MIME content or attachments.

If you are sending MIME style text, it will be necessary to
reset your mail program to send "Straight ASCII Text". How to
do this will vary with the program. However in your settings/
preferences, you should (somewhere) see an option to "Send
Quoted Printable" or "Send MIME text" or "Send HTTP" - you'll
need to turn these OFF.

Explorer Express is particularly bad about this as sending MIME
is enabled by DEFAULT (thanks, #(*@(@Y Microsoft).

Otherwise kindly drop a note to me direct, and if I'm familiar with
your program, I'll try to tell you exactly how to send straight
text.

THANKS

     ====== wier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ======