S3D Re: How to classify stamps?

  • From: Michael Kersenbrock <michaelk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: S3D Re: How to classify stamps?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:30:13 -0700

"Huss@xxxxxxx" wrote:

> In fact, last year I sent a lengthy e-mail to E-bay asking why they did not
> allow "cross-postings" between categories. Dr T's case is very typical. I
> believe it would be much better if the same auction could be placed in both
> "stereo images" and "stamps" categories. It is not that hard to do that, and

Nothing is hard to do for tiny sites.  Anything, even the seemingly simple is
not so simple when the database gets huge and the queries are fast constant
and furious.  And increasing like crazy.  "simple things", just don't seem to
scale well. Note the "trivial" features they've turned off from time to time
because they were causing too much of a perfromance hit.   This also is why
doing away with sniping (to jack up the selling prices and increase revenue)
by adding a 5-minute rule would be a hard to fathom huge performance problem
(at their scale and in the future).  But of course, having said this, they'll implement
all of this tonight!

> could be a way to get a few more cents per auction by charging extra to
> people willing to do such cross-postings. A person told me this would create
> opportunities for spammers, but if Ebay price the service correctly (making
> it prohibitive to post for more than 3 groups), I believe it should not be a
> big problem.

Do people actually use "categories" very much?  Although the new tinier categories
(like Stereo) are more useful than before, my ebay-searching is 99.3% done
by general searches with relatively complex keyword incantations.  Plus the new stereo
category.   I think it'd be more useful (and practical) for the search engine to provide
searches that are restricted to more than one category -- rather than actually having
one item number put into multiple categories.

Mike K.

P.S. - I've picked up a couple large batches of Lenticular stamps on Ebay recently.  Ones from
          "Umm Al Quwain", one of the United Arab Emirates.  Some have things
          "out of the window" above the surface of the stamp.  :-)