S3D Re: CC & e-mail

>Just remember that you still have to worry about the security of the
>remote server.  Hopefully no one can crack SSL (yet) if they sniff
>your packets, but once the data reaches the remote server it is
>decrypted and vulnerable to attack.  A good system would immediately
>send the data (probably via a one way serial link) to a machine not on
>any network so that it doesn't remain exposed to attack.

Yes - very true. There is also the problem on *this* end that
since I'm at a college with connections to dorm rooms that a
sniffer could be used. That's a good reason to use one of the
CCs that supposedly protect you against unauthorized internet
charges, etc.

For the server on the other end, I generally don't worry too
much about that since it's equivalent to calling up a place and
give the CC to an employee on the phone.

Insecure any way you look at it.

              Bob Wier
     mailto:wier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   12:51 PM Thursday, March 16, 2000
        Unix/Internet Administrator
   Rocky Mountain College, Billings MT.
 keeper of the Photo-3d and Overland-Trails
mailing lists and the USA GPS Waypoint server