S3D Re: CC & e-mail

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: S3D Re: CC & e-mail
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:33:39 -0700

Bob Wier wrote:
> Yes - very true. There is also the problem on *this* end that
> since I'm at a college with connections to dorm rooms that a
> sniffer could be used. That's a good reason to use one of the
> CCs that supposedly protect you against unauthorized internet
> charges, etc.

If you use switches instead of hubs and segment your network at the
port level (with one node per port) you don't have to worry about
sniffing.  Yeah I know, fat chance a college will spend any money on
student resources.  At the least there should be a firewall at each
dorm separating it from the rest of the campus network.  Heck I
wouldn't even trust other departments, but then I'm paid to be
paranoid.

> For the server on the other end, I generally don't worry too
> much about that since it's equivalent to calling up a place and
> give the CC to an employee on the phone.
>
> Insecure any way you look at it.

Actually it's more like calling a place up, giving your information to
an employee and then having that employee putting it on a bulletin
board for other customers to see.  Most crackers aren't very smart,
it's just that most businesses aren't very careful.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "Dee Dee!  Don't touch that button!"
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx              | "Oooh!"