[sell-3d] FREE Videocam Stereo-adapter Plans

  • From: Gabriel Jacob <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [sell-3d] FREE Videocam Stereo-adapter Plans
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:44:50 -0400

(Cross posting this message for the benefit of those
not subscribed to both P3D and S3D.)

Okay, as promised, here are the FREE stereo-adapter
plans. I had previously mentioned this would cost
you less than a dollar to make. Actually this is
not true, it's more like 50 cents, but then if I
had said that, who would have believed me! :-)

The device consists of two multi-image reducing
fresnel lenses. This is attached in front of a
webcam, digital camera, videocamera, etc. The
examples I've mentioned in previous posts were
done with the QuickCam Express. This is one of
the cheapest (can be found for less than $50)
webcams that Logitech carries.

The multi-image fresnel lenses can be purchased at
Edmund Scientific,
http://www.edmundscientific.com/Products/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=228

Although it costs $4.95 for the fresnel sheet, there
are enough fresnel lenses on it, to make 12 adapters.
One pair of the fresnel reducing lenses is cut with a
pair of scissors, and is attached in front of the camera.

I've posted an example of this at,
http://www.generation.net/~jacob/stereo_adapter.jpg
In the above case, I attached the fresnel lens with
some tape and a cut out film canister. The gizmo
is carefully aligned, focused, and presto, 3-D magic!

You can dispense with the film canister and put the
fresnel lenses right up to the webcam lens. This works
fine and just changes the magnification. Also the
fresnel lens can be cut in a circular pattern, so that
it pops right into the webcam lens.

I've tried this with videocameras and digital cameras
and it works pretty well. Surprisingly, on a better
quality digital camera, I had to put a loupe in front
of the lens and then the fresnel pair (before or
after), to get it to work. Macros were also possible
(and were pretty sharp) but it was very tricky to set
up. Alignment was also very critical and is why I
haven't posted any examples. More experimentation (and
patience) is in order.

There are other shortcomings. The image quality is of
course not the greatest and the stereobase is also
somewhat narrow. Another problem, is sometimes you
can see the grooves on the fresnel lens. You might want
to try changing the orientation of the grooves. But
hey, for 50 cents you can't go wrong!

P.S. Oh yeah, no need to transpose them, they're already
in the correct orientation for parallel free-viewing!

http://www.generation.net/~jacob/smallsample.jpg
http://www.generation.net/~jacob/largesample.jpg
http://www.generation.net/~jacob/3d_clip.rm

Gabriel