[sell-3d] In ebay: Realist modified for winder/motor drive?

  • From: "Dr. George A. Themelis" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [sell-3d] In ebay: Realist modified for winder/motor drive?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:54:19 -0400

It all started when I got a strange-looking Realist from
ebay a few months ago... Gabriel remembers because he
commented here in p3d (or was it s3d?) why would anyone
pay a hundred and some dollars for a camera that was
advertised for parts only?  At the time, I did not know
what I was getting but I could see that the Realist
pictured in that sale had some special modifications done
to it, plus it had German f3.5 lenses, an oversized
rewind knob  and other features that distinguished it as
a newer Realist model.

When I finally found the time to take the camera apart
(it has a custom plate at the top) I realized that it had
been converted to work with a winder or a motor drive.
It did not have a film advance knob.  Instead, it had a
custom shaft.  Inside the custom plate at the top of
the camera, parts of the film advance had been removed
and a microswitch was installed.  As the film advances,
a shaft presses the microswitch, presumably stopping
the automatic advance.

Unfortunately, the motor drive or winder had been
stripped off the camera.  Possibly, the previous owner
was thinking that this was the only part of some value
in this contraption, and sold it separately.  That's too
bad because now we do not know how was the motor drive
or winder interfaced with the camera.  Motor Driven
Realist!!!  It would have made quite a spectacle!

Since I am not a collector and I do not have an interest
to pursue this further, I would like to sell this camera.
I have placed it back in ebay :-)  Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=305036878

As I say in my description: "If you are handy you could
find a way to interface this Realist body with a motor
drive. If not, you can keep this in your collection of
the most unusual Realist modifications, OR you can
utilize the Realist 3.5 German lens board and oversize
film Rewind knob. From my experience, German 3.5 are the
sharpest of all Realist 3.5 lenses. (Note: If you replace
your Realist lens board with this one, you will need to
check and possibly adjust the focus for optimum performance)"

Thank you,

George Themelis

Get paid for the stuff you know!
Get answers for the stuff you don’t. And get $10 to spend on the site!