[sell-3d] Re: Compact & attractive vs huge & ugly

  • From: Alan Lewis <3-d@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [sell-3d] Re: Compact & attractive vs huge & ugly
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 06:47:43 -0500

"Dr. George A. Themelis" wrote:

> OK, for those who are wondering what to get, DrT's huge
> recyclable 1/2 ton of ugly metal or Paul's fine
> elegant hand-held stereoscope, here is the solution:
>
> GET BOTH!!!
>
> The Achromat Lorgnette is good to carry around when you
> go to shows to buy stereo views, or when you scan your
> collection quickly.  The Keystone Visual Survey is good
> if you want to sit down and enjoy looking through a set
> of stereo views.
>
> One of the problems of the Lorgnette is that you hands
> shake and you cannot really enjoy looking at a view for
> any period of time.  I was one of the first to get
> the achromatic lorgnette from Allan Lewis and one of
> the first things I did was to mount the lenses in a
> stereoscope for a "lightweight" achromatic stereoscope.
> But I still find myself using the Keystone most of the
> time when I want to enjoy the stereo views.  If I were
> to go to show and critically look at views to buy the
> lorgnette is just the right viewer to have.
Also:>> Are we talking about the same quality of lenses here?

I'll keep this posting in a "consumer awareness" category to assist the
decision making process:

The Achromat Lorgnette II uses equal quality lenses in all respects
(visual and general specifications).  Both focal lengths are equal, both
are coated, and the resulting image is equally fine through both
instruments (achromatic telebinocular vs. achromatic lorgnette).
Since I used the actual lenses from the Keystone viewer in the first
lorgnette (Achromat Lorgnette) I can use them for side by side
comparison to the current Achromat Lorgnette II lenses.

In addition to using the Lorgnette style at shows for previewing cards,
it can be used to view stereo pairs in books, magazines, etc.

George has the right idea, buy both. (Not that I have a vested interest,
mind you!).

For a moment there I thought the thread title "compact & attractive vs.
huge & ugly" was personal......but I looked at photo's of Dr T and
myself and I realized my mistake.  ;-)

--
Alan Lewis
mailto:3-d@xxxxxxxx

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!