[sell-3d] Diane Arbus Photo ID Confirmed

  • From: "Ferguson Studio" <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [sell-3d] Diane Arbus Photo ID Confirmed
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:46:00 -0600

Hello;

Many thanks to everyone who helped with the identification of Diane Arbus's photo;   "Topless Dancer in Her Dressing Room".
eBay did auction off this wonderful original 15x15" image printed by Neil Selkirk from the original negative for $5,000.

As had been suspected, the model was not Carol Doda.  It was easy to see why the confusion abounded.  They both wore the same identical wigs, had similar figures and faces and danced in nightclubs just blocks apart from each other at the same time period.

After countless hours on the web, talks with Arbus's lawyers, Neil Selkirk (the original posthumous edition printer), auction houses, numerous magazine purchases and finally Bingo!

It is:  Yvonne d'Angers, as confirmed by this photo found in the November 1967 issue of Modern Man Magazine, note that this is her spelling as it is often misspelled.  Special thanks to Martha McCann who knew this right from the start (but we needed the photo proof).

www.novia.net/~eckarts/photos/ebay/395.jpg

I am looking to buy 3-D photos of both Carol Doda and Yvonne d'Angers.  If you have any images, or know of someone who does, please contact me.

Larry

larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx