Re: resolution of binocular vision

  • From: T3D john bercovitz <bercov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: resolution of binocular vision
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 08:52:56 -0700

I thought the MMT and others of that ilk operated on a principle
similar to interferometry.  In fact each part of a single mirror
could be included in this.  Maybe interferometry isn't the right
word (hey, this is the internet, like you said).  Anyone know how
images from different reflectors are combined?  Is that method
applicable to eyeballs?  If so, it could help to explain why
vision with two eyes is sharper than vision with one.  I think
an easy explanation would be that the two images are compared in
the brain (visual cortex) and an average taken.  The average would
be more correct than either since an erroneous image point in one
eye would be averaged with a correct image point in the other eye
to be closer to correct.  Where is Jim Crowell when you need him?

> I posted a message yesterday where I referred to some academic
> articles as 'obtuse', when I must have meant obscure or esoteric;
> because my dictionary tells me I described these peer-reviewed
> publications as 'idiotic'.

No, really, I was being serious.  I don't have a dictionary right
here but I believe one meaning of obtuse is as you stated but a
less common meaning is abstruse.  So I was making a play on words
when I said I hoped you meant the latter defintion and not the former!
8-)  Perfectly legit use of obtuse, it's just that in that situation
it could be misinterpreted.

John B