T3D Re: T3D Re: digital camera resolution

  • From: Bob Wier <wier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: T3D Re: digital camera resolution
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:27:44 -0600

At 11:21 AM -0700 on 1/27/98, John Bercovitz wrote:

|Just taking the base numbers, I think there is something fishy here.
|Supposing we accept the guy's 40 lpmm in a 35 mm camera (fair if you
|have any depth of field) then the image has 24*36*40^2 or 1,382,400
|pixels.  If we take a 640 x 480 camera and throw in Nyquist (you have
|to have two pixels to image one black and one white bar) you have 340
|x 240 or 81,600 pixels of the same nature as the 35 camera's pixels.
|(Probably I should have done this the other way - multiplied the 35
|camera's resolution by two to get the digital camera pixel equivalent.)
|
|John B

That's interesting. The Olympus DL-600 is 1280*1024, which is
in that range as far as pixels are concerned, although having
not actually seen one of the units, I can't say what kind of
relationship you can draw between a standard 35 mm format with
a "normal" lens and the D 600-L unit (it pretty much looks like
a standard SLR, though). It comes with a zoom lens, although I
don't know if the lenses are interchangable. *That* would be a real
winner for me if I could adapt my Pentax lenses to it (as I have
some on both screw thread and bayonet mount...)

I wonder if by any chance Oly is out at SPIE?

For a sample image, see

http://www.olympusamerica.com/digital/download/images2/big/flower.jpg

(warning - it's big - over 900K and too wide to view all at once
on my 17" monitor...).

--BW

               Bob Wier
         mailto:wier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  03:26 PM  Tuesday, January 27, 1998
     Rocky Mountain College, Billings MT.
 keeper of the Photo-3d and Overland-Trails
mailing lists and the USA GPS Waypoint server