T3D Re: Distortion et al in zooms! (TECH-3D digest 283)

  • From: "Bob Howard" <bobh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Distortion et al in zooms! (TECH-3D digest 283)
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:47:50 +8

RE: worries about distortion (I supposed wondering if stereo images
will match??) in zooms. I doubt if any zooms are 1% over the range as
John B. suggests. I doubt if normal 50mm lenses can do this!! As all
SLR ones are retrofocus. Keppler in a recent column of Pop Photo
questioned if modern lenses had to be retrofocus because of the
mirror clearance, citing that he knew of 50mm and less Exakta lenses
pre-war (WW2). But he forgot that not being prism reflexes they used
short mirrors. With the prism came the need for brightness and full
sized mirrors that limited focal length to 52mm or longer untill the
retrofocus allowed 50mm and wide angles to be made. (Retrofocus is
Angineaux trademark that became generic to describe long backfocus
lenses that were farther from the film than the focal length.)
These lenses and most not design for aerial photograph or copying
sacrifice distortion as usually not noticed except with windows and
doorways near edge of frame.
A worse revelation was that internal focusing zooms cheat on focal
length as they focus as marked focal length is only for infinity to
meet trade standards. Pop photo found this out when comparing zooms
and noticing image size differences. So I would suggest that zooms
suck in stereo. BobH