T3D Re: underwater housings

  • From: George Gioumousis <georggms@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: underwater housings
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:32:09 -0700 (PDT)

Tom Deering wrote (in the context of underwater housings for stereo)

> Does anyone have any experience at all?  Stereo or not?
>
> My plan is to build one out of plexiglas.  The stuff is easy to cut and
> glue, and will withstand any amount of pressure if thick enough.
>
> Maybe my biggest questions are about water-tight controls and maximum
> depth.  I assume I will build a special camera that has motorized
> functions, and a controlled depth of field.
>
> Comments?

My sister, who is a very strong swimmer, bought a Nikonos waterproof
camera. Perhaps two, maybe bottom to bottom, would be a quick, but
not cheap, way to go.

Don't forget that the index of refraction of water is about 1.3, as
compared to 1 for air, so that the focussing scales can't be trusted.

                           Stereo                Stereo
George Gioumousis           /---\        |       /---\
                             o o         |       o o
georggms@xxxxxxxxxx           |          |         |
(650) 494-6276              \===/        |       \===/
                        Photographer          Photographer