T3D Re: Mounting quality

  • From: abram klooswyk <abram.klooswyk@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Mounting quality
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:51:57 +0200

Tony Alderson wrote (21 Sep 1998 TECH-3D Digest 362):
>Has anyone ever done surveys of the quality of mounting in
>stereo competitions?  I'm not talking about what we "ought"
>to do, or what our goals are, but what is the actual practice.

I suppose it depends on what competions you mean, but the only
survey I know of was carried out by Jac. G. Ferwerda, Koo for
his friends. In 1975 the Stockton-on-Tees International
Stereo Exhibition was combined with the Dutch International
Stereo Exhibition (after consultation with the PSA).
All entries were brought from Britain to Holland and judged
once more by a Dutch panel, while Pat and Jim Milnes came to
Holland to help with their experience in running competions
(and a voting machine).
Because there were reports of eyestrain in viewing the show of
accepted slides, Koo considered measuring them. He felt little
uncomfortable about the idea, it could be seen as unproper,
nowadays in medical circles would be said there was no
'informed consent'. I however strongly encouraged him to go
on with it, the results would be anonym, and again when you are
in a hospital there is a chance that some doctor uses figures
from your case for a survey article on similar cases, and
patients mostly will be unaware of this, unless consent is
asked for some unusual or experimental method.

So he did, an he has published the results in Bulletin no 24
of the Nederlanse Vereniging voor Stereofotografie, jan-feb 1976,
and in 'The Third Dimension', bulletin of that society, No. 69,
Spring 1976. The latter publication is in the literature references
of Koo's book "The World of 3-D", but I forgot whether the book
itself uses figures from the articles (couldn't find in the index).

Now the English article is a treatise of 15 pages in which
measurement results are intermingled with comments, opinions
and advice on rotational and heigth errors, deviations, infinity
separation, macro, othostereo, stretch, focal length, projection,
stereo base - to mention a few :-), enough for years of war on
photo-3d and tech-3d, an ocean of heroin for the addicts.

When I find some time I will try to make a summary with only
Methods and Results, and some words from the conclusion.

For now I only can add that it was the only exhibiton of that
kind ever held in the Netherlands, probably not due to the
survey, but because - for some or another reason - competions don't
work very well whithout some anglo-saxon blood in the area.
One Adolf Hitler's great mistakes was that he expected the
British to be weak, and forgot that they had been raised with
cricket and would fight anyway, if only for the competion.

Abram Klooswyk