T3D Re: 1.2mm OFD theory

  • From: fj834@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dr. George A. Themelis)
  • Subject: T3D Re: 1.2mm OFD theory
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:06:33 -0400 (EDT)

>Just trying to
>understand why rational people can have
>such strong opinions on the importance
>or unimportance of maximizing the OFD.

You can have a strong opinion about getting 1.2 mm OFD but cannot
have a strong opinion about getting anything from 0 to more than
1.2 mm, can you? :-)

Earlier we were presented an example where it required to use a
3.6 inch stereo base to get 1.2 mm OFD.  Then we read that you
might still want to use 2.5 inch base but move the background
a bit further, so you can still get 1.2 mm OFD.  Seems to me
that the 1.2 mm target has become an obsession.  So maybe the
desire for constant "infinity" separation is fueling this.
But with a close-up and macro, there is no real infinity.
One could even say that 2.5" separation of the distant points
on the screen is unatural for a close up.

George Themelis