T3D Examples and Experience

  • From: "Andrea Blair" <asblair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Examples and Experience
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:56:24 PDT

>>John Bercovitz wrote: An easy one for you to see is on page 22 of
Stereoscopy, Series 2, Number 29. The conditions under which that pair
was taken are described on page 18 under Example Stereo Image. The
stereobase was 1/9th of the distance to the nearest point in the scene.
See if it views OK for you.<<

An example of my images is in the latest copy of Stereoscopy (the one
with the baby praying mantis on the cover). Look at the article in the
middle of the magazine for stereo pairs. What do you think?

Another example is the PSA Journal, January 1997, cover and photos
inside. I think PSA printed the pairs switched L&R, maybe for
free-viewing? I could not see most of them with a viewer.

Yet another example is at:  http://members.aol.com/psastereo/  in
Members Gallery 1, "Newly Hatched Cicada."

My question: Does this give accurate representation on the image since
someone else scanned it and positioned it on the real or virtual page,
or can you tell a crappy shot when you see one?

>>John Bercovitz wrote: I have no doubt George and Andrea and others
with considerable experience can do exactly the same thing without no
steenkeeng spreadsheets. <snip> That's the difference between
experienced people and the rest of us.<<

John, you are very generous with your compliments and praise, but I am
not so sure I am worthy of it. What is "considerable experience"? I have
been doing 2-D photography for 20 years (and I've almost got the hang of
it! {;>) ), but I've only been doing stereo for just over 3 years, and I
still don't have a clue (well, maybe a little) about what I'm doing. All
I know is I take the shot (macro, normal, distant) and most work and
some don't. I know the basic pricipals (yes, I have read several
articles and portions from books on stereo) but I wouldn't call myself
an expert. I represent the more carefree attitude towards my craft. It
works; maybe I shouldn't question it.

Andrea