T3D Re: muxing 3D video

Elliott Swanson wrote:
> I just picked up an old anaglyph copy of It Came From Outer Space on VHS.
> Since this is a B/W film it seems to me that with a good color extractor
> like the Sima SCC, a time base corrector, and a video field sequential mux
> (I used to have one but it fried, and the company is out of business),
> this movie could be reconstructed back to field sequential b/w 3D. Any
> video wizards out there?

Theoretically this would work but there would be a number of things
to be careful of...

The RGB outputs of your colour extractor will probably not have sync
signals on each of the R, G & B outputs.  You need the sync signals
to be there for the mux to work correctly.  I'm not sure whether you'd
be able to add the sync signals to RGB using your time base corrector
but a suitably modified 3D multiplexer would be able to do the job.

Use an SVHS video player to play back your VHS tape and connect to
your colour extractor using an SVideo connector.  As (I think) Greg
Erker mentioned on Photo-3D, colour and luminance are stored separately
on a VHS tape but you need an SVHS player to keep them separate via
an SVideo connector/cable.

It won't be possible to get perfectly ghost free images (i.e. perfectly
separate left and right images) but make sure you adjust the tint
control on the colour extractor to find the optimum separation.

Cheers,
Andrew.

|  Andrew Woods   | Centre for Marine Science and Technology,      |
|                 | Curtin University of Technology,               |
|       _--_|\    | GPO Box U1987, Perth W.A. 6845, AUSTRALIA.     |
|      /      \   | Email: A.Woods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              |
|   -->\_.--._/   |     or Andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            |
| Perth      v    | WWW: http://info.curtin.edu.au/~iwoodsa        |
|                 | Phone: +61 8 9266 7920    Fax: +61 8 9266 2377 |

|Visit the Stereoscopic Displays and Applications website:         |
|                  http://www.stereoscopic.org                     |

End of TECH-3D Digest 453