T3D Re: e-microscope pairs

  • From: Peter Homer <P.J.Homer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: e-microscope pairs
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:52:22 +0000

>I got some mail from my fellow employee.  Don't believe the part about
>him being unclear.  I'm sure I just misunderstood.  Anyhow, here is
>more precisely what he wants.
>
>John B
>
>> John,
>> Thanks for your sending the message, but I'm afraid I was unclear:  I
>> already have digital image files, one for each of the images (left and
>> right) in black and white.  I want to make a red/blue anaglyph image using
>> a digital imaging processing program, Adobe Photoshop 5.0 for Macintosh is
>> what we have and what I'm most familiar with.  I specifically wonder if
>> anyone has a protocol for using Photoshop to create anaglyph electronic
>> stereo images.  I would like to present several images in a presentation
>> next week;  I will use a digital projector and have a set of red/blue
>> glasses.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help.
>> Jacob

 As a digital projector is being used it is possble the light will also be
polarised as some LCD devices use a twist in polarisation to open/close the
cells. Certainly two of the ones we have at work do such as the Epson
Solitaire which has a Swan cube made of 4 90 degree prisms to combine the
red/green/blue.
 Because two of the colours are reflected and one is transmited two of the
colours need to be the same polarisation in the plane of reflection and the
third is at right angles to them. With a bit of luck the projector in
question may have the blue and green combined in the same plane of
polarisation to give cyan and the red will be at right angles to them.
Although some LCD displays such as those in the Tomytronic 3D games use 45
degree polarisation the same as standard glasses for 3D projection. Because
of the need to combine colours at a reflecting/transmiting surface it is
probable that a digital projector will have the alignments
vertical/horizontal so that standard glasses could not be used but those
supplied with the FED projector are aligned this way. Of course a silver
screen would also be needed. As he already has a set of red/blue glasses
there is probably no advantage to using the polarisation in this case but
it might be a possibility worth exploring.   P.J.Homer