T3D Re: polarized light without energy loss

  • From: Steve Spicer <s.spicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: polarized light without energy loss
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 11:48:34 +1000

At 19:37 1/06/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Jose' tried to post and got a bounce so now I am trying.

>>...have unveiled a new class of material
>> "glass LCD" which emits color circularly polarized light without losing
>> half of the energy,

Well - sounds tantilizing to say the least.
How does it work? (don't say it's "done with mirrors").
Can it do this?

It kind of implies that light-energy that is incorrectly polarised gets
re-oriented so that it is correctly polarised (I wonder if that process
requires energy in itself?). In contrast, my mental model of
linear-polarisers is that all energy that is incorrectly polarised is
absorbed - hence the loss referred to above.

Maybe the key word above is "emits" - maybe this isn't a filter like I am
thinking it to be, but a source.

Steve