T3D Re: matching lenses

>Ray Hannisian wrote:
>

>> I am about to buy new lenses for my stereo video system.  Of course, I will
>> be buying them in pairs.  I have been led to believe that normally
>> available commercial lenses may vary considerably in their characteristics,
>> even their focal lengths.
>>
>> Is there any way to insure somewhat "matched" lenses, or to adjust them to
>> have more similar optical characteristics 'after the fact'?
>>

>Speak to David Lee, he had matched Schneider lenses tested at the factory for
>his homemade 4x5 camera.
>

>--
>Dale Walsh
>mailto:dwalsh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>http://welcome.to/solidillusions

Yes, Dale is correct. I decided I wanted the best lenses I could afford for my homemade 4x5 pair of cameras, so I called a friend who was a
buyer for a camera store and told him I wanted 2 120mm Schneider Symmars and could he get the company to match them at the factory. He let me
talk to the distributor in NY directly and I was able to tell him exactly what I wanted. A couple weeks later I had the pair which was
measured at 123.2mm, which was farther from 120 than I would have expected. The serial numbers were 4 apart. I make 10"x10" print pairs, and
at that size I can see no difference between the 2 lenses. The weren't inexpensive, by the way, at $750 each.

I have also matched medium format cameras, and even with identical cameras have found it a challenge to get 2 to match. I had to test 5
Yashicamat 124G's to get a pair that is pretty close.

David Lee