T3D Stereo "window" basics sought

  • From: Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Stereo "window" basics sought
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:01:46 -0500 (CDT)

Hi.

I've been shooting stereo with my Realist and with my conventional cameras
for a few years now and I've had some amazing success armed with nothing
more than the most basic understaning of the principles of stereoscopy.
Regarding stereo base, I will typically divide the film plane to subject
distance by the focal length of my lens to calculate the stereo base and
with certain exceptions, I've been happy with the results. Frankly, some
people have nearly convinced that the one-in-thirty rule is actuallly a
smarter one to live by, but for some reason I seem to cling to the focal
length divisor method instead. However, this whole business of the stereo
"window" has eluded me up to now. It would seem to me that there are no
controls in stereoscopy other than the stereo base of A: your exposures,
and B: your mounting. So, I'm assuming that I can draw elements of my
subject through the window by employing certain rules regarding either or
both of these controls. Unless I'm missing somthing vital, please tell me
how I might accomplish the following:

If I'm shooting a flower from, say, 200mm away (macro) with a 35mm SLR
equippied with a 50mm lens, what adjustment should I make to my stereo base
(my calculations put it at 4mm) and/or my base when mounting to create the
effect of the flower protruding through the window toward me?

If there are voluminous web sites devoted to this and other stereo tech,
please let me know.

Thanks for your time!

Dwib