T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 512

  • From: "David W. Kesner" <drdave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 512
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 22:55:23 -0600

Eric Goldstein writes:

> Some of the finest portraiture ever done was shot with technically
> "inferior" lenses;

And I point out (again) that I admit that many fine images are
produced with inferior equipment. If you are after a very specific
look or feel then you will need to match that with the equipment that
will produce it. As an extreme example take the "artists" that are
shooting Polaroid film and manipulating them before the
processing is completed to produce images that resemble abstract
paintings. Definitely something that couldn't be done with a state of
the art 35mm camera and chrome film. (Although easily done by
scanning and computer manipulation).

> I have shot a few stereo pairs with my Holga (a 13 buck toy 120
> camera) which I am often complimented on. The dream-like quality of
> the images would be impossible to duplicate with "great" equipment!

I must totally disagree with this. If the dream-like quality is the result
of poor optics, then all you need do is use filters, gels, or vasoline
on great equipment to duplicate the effect. If it is the result of poor
metering, then over or under expose your film. There isn't anything
that a $13 Holga can do that a $6,000 Hasselblad couldn't do just
as "poorly".

I have nothing against ANY piece of equipment that someone wants
to use. However, you must be aware that each one has its own
merits and limitations. The lower the technical and optical quality of
a camera the less latitude you will have in its use. In other words an
inferior camera can be made only so good, whereas a superior
camera can be made as bad as you want *{;-)

That's all for now,

David W. Kesner
Boise, Idaho, USA
drdave@xxxxxxxxxx