T3D Re: "Good and "Bad" Equipment

  • From: Bob_Maxey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: T3D Re: "Good and "Bad" Equipment
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:16:26 -0600

>>It pains them when I mention that my $40 Lubitels
>>(Russian plastic Medium Format TLRs with glass lenses) can produce
>>much better prints than any 35mm camera.

That comment will take a whole boat load of proof. I am hearing a whole
boat load, but it is not exactly proof that's in the boat. I will
emphatically state that a cheap medium format camera will not produce
better results than my M3, M4 or M5. I have shown this over and over in the
work I have done over the years. I use slow film, expert processing and a
tripod. You will have to prove your statement.

I also occasionally use a cheap 120. a Yashica TLR. Granted, it is superior
to the Lubitel. I compare this camera with my Leica and the Leica is the
clear winner. No contest.

Common since will tell you that  professional photographers would stop
buying top quality equipment and go with the cheap equipment made of
plastic if the results were better. Why should I buy a Leicaflex and a
Leoica lens if a 40.00 camera will give me better images? I would not
because I prize sharpness and contrast above all else. If i could get this
with a Russian made camera, I certainly would rather spend 40.00 than
thousands. Everyone else would, too.

Your comment is hard for me to understand. However, that being said, I
regularly use my Bessa Rangefinders and I have friends who use good quality
35mm equipment and I kick them all over the place. My Bessa is capable of
producing better images than the vast majority of 35MM cameras out there.
So there you are.

RM