T3D Re: tech-3d #517, Pt. 1/3, PLEASE RESPOND OFF-LIST

  • From: ddd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: T3D Re: tech-3d #517, Pt. 1/3, PLEASE RESPOND OFF-LIST
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 14:36:53 -0400 (EDT)

I attempted to post this reply in its entirety on the
day I read tech-3d digest #517, but apparently the
length was too great. I had just today received a reply
from the moderator as to what the problem might have
been, so I am only now addressing the issues at hand in
group.

Next, let me apologise to the group for airing this in
this forum; I do not subscribe to photo-3d any longer
(due in part to the inanities of people such as Mr.
Dottle), and that is perhaps where this should be said,
if in the 3d group forum at all.
But, this aired in this forum, so I must defend myself
in the same forum, and I apologise for the length of
this post. But in it I will give my defense against his
slanderous comments.

Mark Dottle wrote:
> Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 00:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
> From: markaren@xxxxxxxxx (Karen Obusek)
> To: tech-3d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: T3D Flaming
> To all Tech 3D readers,read this story for what it is
>worth. The person posting anonymously from
>ddd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, his name is <snip of personal
information>, and recent Dr.T critic....without
> provocation....has personally attacked me off list for
>no justifiable reason at all....none whatsoever...

First off, I want to address the issue of 'anonymous'
posting.
My name is witheld not because I wish to sneak about
with impunity, attacking people indiscriminately and
maliciously. The internet is founded on a basis that
observes anonymity and accepts it (I give the example of
'anonymous FTP,' for one). Should an individual wish to
remain anonymous, it is well within his or her rights to
do so. I do not feel comfortable bandying my name back
and forth across the globe, because of the possibilities
of misuse of information. I note the illegal activities
of misidentification and impersonation, done  with info
gathered from the internet.
I do not yet believe that the internet is an entirely
safe harbor for those who desire nothing but an
altruistic idyll of dialogue and discourse. As such, the
 importance of privacy speaks for itself. I do not keep
any personal information stored on my PC due to the
possibilities of events such as 'worm programs' digging
into my info while online & misusing what they may find.
Are there such programs? I know of none in particular,
but the possibilities are there, IMO, and I personally
fear those.
   A post-er will become known through time by his
postings, not by his name. Which is to say, the
*essence* of a persons nature will shine through, no
matter what they are called. I offer that my personality
visible in my posts is obviously polite, thoughtful, and
sociable, and I conduct myself and my dialogues with
respect (although I am guilty of an occasional knee-jerk
reaction myself once in a while...). I have conducted
multiple transactions with members of the 3d lists, one
of which was a sale of an item to the moderator of the
photo-3d list himself, in which I maintained online
anonymity (I will supply a list of references on
demand). Do not impugn my actions; I have conducted
myself responsibly and properly in all of my online
activities.
   It is my choice, Mr. Dottle, *no one elses,* to
present myself in any way that I wish online. If that is
unacceptable to you, I offer that you ignore my
postings; the right to not read is yours. But realise
that just because a person says they are someone does
not make it so.I pose the rhetorical question of who
exactly are *you*? For all I know, you may indeed be a
12 year old girl, posing as an adult male online.
Without knowing you personally, there is *no way of
knowing.* Even being familiar with an individual
personally is by no means an assurance of their true
essence. The internet is an inherently anonymous place,
and I suggest to you that you get out into the 'real
world' and see this for yourself. You will know a
post-er by their works, to paraphrase, and I offer that
my dealings with this group  both in dialogue and in
business have proven me to be adequately above suspicion
of intent.
And I offer an examination of your particular 'works,'
Mr. Dottle, begun with the last part of your quote,
above, where you say, quite dramatically, I might add,
that I personally and unprovokedly attacked you.

[Continued in my next post]