T3D Re: archival mediums?

  • From: Oliver Dean <3d-image@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: archival mediums?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:44:50 -0700

Bob Maxey wrote:

> > It is hard to find a good Betamax these days.  My tapes are still fine.
> > I need to digitally archive some of my old videos.
>
> Not  to mention the old RCA Capacitive system. Our local library has a few
> though. Anyone remember THAT system?

Was that the ghastly disk system that RCA kluged together as a
disastrous attempt to compete with laser disks?  If so, quality was
execrable, noise and artifacts from contamination and wear were
ludicrously bad (worse than VHS tape by far), but the prices were lower
than for laser disks and prerecorded tapes at the time, and a lot of
them got sold before the public wised up and the system died a merciful
death.  The only things that could be said for it were that it was an
interesting, even ingenious, innovation, and if you sealed up the disk
and didn't play it, it might have had some archival advantages.

And worst of all, they didn't make any stereo 3D releases, to the best
of my knowledge! :>)

Cordially,
Oliver Dean