T3D Re: Projection Lamp 3-letter code (TECH-3D digest 542)

  • From: bobh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: T3D Re: Projection Lamp 3-letter code (TECH-3D digest 542)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:29:35 -0600

RE: Ron laments confusion over specs of vast number of 3 letter
code projection lamps and says "Why don't they do it like radio
and TV tubes?" This got my attention as I was the engineer that
suggested the three letter codes in ASA meetings, so we could
pick a lamp as easy as a 6J6 radio tube!!!!
It was eventually adopted and were ASA listed (now ANSII codes).
Before THEN one had to order a lamp by filament, base, bulb
shape, and diameter as well as wattage and voltage (in 5 volt
steps).
e.g  1000 watt, 120v T-12, med. pref. base C-13D filament.
 T-12 was tubular 12/8th inch diameter, Med Prefocus base was
keyed twin ears (vs B&H or bayonet in smaller lamps) C-13 D was
Coiled filament in 13 rows double layered i.e 6 and 7 lined up to fill
the space. So the 3 letter code made it easy to find just the right
one by looking at code on old one.
 I have been away many years (1955) from Westinghouse Lamp
Division (now owned by NORELCO). But I see the problem as not
having a list of lamps. Makers used to put out lamp catalogs for
projectors etc. and ANSI should have a list of the 3 letter codes
and what they mean. I will take a search engine look to see if I can
find ANSI lamp codes. BobH
(the main thing in fitting old type lamps as in stereo projectors was
wattage rating in line with cooling and size of lamp house and fan
air flow AND that base and filament position matched optics.)
Bob Howard (bobh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
SEND NO PIX OR PROGRAMS TO LIGHTSIDE!!
 Instead send those to:
robhoward@xxxxxxxxxxx  or   bobh626@xxxxxxxxxxx