T3D Re: letter codes and projection bulbs

  • From: Rob <lilindn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: letter codes and projection bulbs
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:18:15 -0600

 bobh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<snip>

> e.g  1000 watt, 120v T-12, med. pref. base C-13D filament.
>  T-12 was tubular 12/8th inch diameter, Med Prefocus base was
> keyed twin ears (vs B&H or bayonet in smaller lamps) C-13 D was
> Coiled filament in 13 rows double layered i.e 6 and 7 lined up to fill
> the space. So the 3 letter code made it easy to find just the right
> one by looking at code on old one.

This is useful - though I am curious as to what "medium prefocus" means,
as well as "true focus".

>  I have been away many years (1955) from Westinghouse Lamp
> Division (now owned by NORELCO). But I see the problem as not
> having a list of lamps. Makers used to put out lamp catalogs for
> projectors etc. and ANSI should have a list of the 3 letter codes
> and what they mean. I will take a search engine look to see if I can
> find ANSI lamp codes. BobH

   Good luck.  Wiko does have an online engine with some information,
but only for lamps they currently sell (if the lamp is currently
available new, I dont really need the information :-)

 Tom Hubin <thubin@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> This is the case with replacing the TDC716's 750watt DDB lamp with a
> quartz halogen 750watt BTP lamp. The DDB lamp has a 10mm square
> filament. The BTP lamp has a 10mm x 14mm filament. The result is dimmer
> than if you used the 500watt CZX lamp with the 8mm square filament.

   While we're on quartz, I once saw a quartz bulb installed in a
Sawyers 2D job - but couldn't find the code on the bulb, anyone know
what the quartz version of the DAK is called?

> I have been told that the ANSI specs for lamps can be bought but not
> copied. If they can be had cheaply and legally I would like to have the
> specs myself. It would help me to design or modify projectors.

     Sounds like its time for me to get to work on that future website
I've always been talking about!
     If I were to take contributions from individuals who actually
measured (physically and electrically) the various bulbs, could I post
the information on the net, or would ANSII cite "DDB", "CZX" and "DGA"
as its trademarks??

   Rob
   "Everything I have is Y1.96K compliant"