T3D interference filters at Lindau

  • From: Peter Abrahams <telscope@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D interference filters at Lindau
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:40:21 -0600

On photo3d, I asked a question; & got an verbal explanation from Shab Levy:
about the Lindau ISU meeting 1999, where  Daimler Chrysler had a
demonstration & lecture in German on 3 channel interference filter,
transmits narrow bandwidth in red, green, blue; left side transmits 3
bandwidths that are slightly offset from the 3 right channels.  20 percent
total transmission.  Glasses match left & right projector, each filter
costs about $300.
---------
via private e-mail:
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999    From: Andreas Petersik <a.petersik@xxxxxxxx>
You asked for this "Interference filter" projection. I attended the
demonstration and was very impressed. This interference filter projection
is a research project of
Daimler-Chrysler in Germany.  The principle is:
The filter lets pass three different wavelengths of the light: red, green
and blue. Each peak is about 20nm in width if I remember correctly. The
filter for the other picture has the peaks moved to shorter waves, about
20nm distance from the other peaks.
Advantages:
- No ghosting!
- Bright images
- No silver screen neccessary
- Glass filters -> higher quality, longer lifetime
- It does not matter how the filters are orientated

Disadvantages:
- You cannot buy these filters
- A filter pair would cost about 300$, that means you have to invest
300$ for every person!!
- One image had a slightly red the other a slightly blue tendency, maybe
this can be reduced in the future
Andreas Petersik    A.Petersik@xxxxxxxx
Anyone else know about these?
Peter Abrahams   telscope@xxxxxxxxxx