[tech-3d] spexfree 3d!!! (no, it isn't April fool)

  • From: "Sergio Baldissara" <winter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] spexfree 3d!!! (no, it isn't April fool)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 01:00:44 +0200

Ciao!
I re-did the Swann's stereoscope (a drawing is in
http://www.onelist.com/files/tech-3d/).
It's a glass cube made from 2 identical prisms matched by their diagonal
face. I bought one from a surplus store (such cubes are used in laser
technolgy and are known as "cube beamsplitter").
My cube is 4x4x4cm (4 cm = 1+4/5") so I printed a stereo pair following
Swann's drawing: both pics are 4x4cm, but I flipped horizontally the right
one... I used my inkjet printer and lightweight photocopy paper. Then I
overled the paper around the cube... It works! Of course pics are small, but
the effect is impressive, althought not as an hologram...
You can find grater "cube beamsplitters" (a 5x5" goes around $80) but I
believe such a divice can be built by using a 45° glass or gelatin.
Sergio

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
Apply NOW!