Re: [tech-3d] f/stop calculation

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] f/stop calculation
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:32:13 -0400

Dennis M. Hanser wrote:
> Anyone have a reasonably accurate and reasonably easy way to
> calculate the actual physical size of an f/stop?
> In particular I am looking for the sizes in mm for a 100mm flat field
> lens at f11,  f16,  f32, and f64.

aperture = focal_length / focal_ratio

If the lens has a 100mm focal length then the aperatures are as
follows:

focal_ratio aperture
11          9.0909
16          6.2500
32          3.1250
64          1.5625

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "Dee Dee!  Don't touch that button!"
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx              | "Oooh!"

Get paid for the stuff you know!
Get answers for the stuff you don’t. And get $10 to spend on the site!